The Casino Hotel was taken over by the NZ Administration after the outbreak of war in 1914. DH & PG assets were seized for war reparations. The hotel was for a time renamed the Apia Hotel and opened for public custom. Then it reverted back to its original name. Over the years the Casino was extensively modified and much of its colonial charm was lost to “modernisation.”
This photo shows the hotel in about the 1940s. When it was demolished in 1972 the legacy of Fritz Stunzner lost its centrepiece.
Credit: P.W.H.Kelly Collection, MS-Papers-11007, Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, N.Z.
Categorised as: Uncategorized