Perhaps Fritz Stunzner’s greatest building was the Casino Hotel on the shoreline at Sogi, in Apia. This large wooden structure was commissioned by the DH & PG in 1911 and completed in February 1912. Its purpose was to provide housing for the company manager and unmarried staff. The hotel stood on the site now occupied by the Kitano Tusitala Hotel.
At the official opening on 2 March 1912, DH & PG Manager, Mr Karl Hanssen, referred to the plans for the hotel having been presented to the company board jointly by Fritz Stunzner and Albert Schaaffhausen. It is probable that the latter had the main design input.
This photo appears to have been taken after the building’s completion and before it was painted and occupied.
Credit: Stunzner Family Collection; original source uncertain.
Categorised as: Uncategorized