The German School in Apia was a private school set up by Mr Gebauer and three other German settlers in the late 1880’s. It received an annual subsidy from the school fund of the German Foreign Office and the German Colonial Society. It was taken over by the German Government of Samoa in 1903.
This photo, formerly in the possession of Mr Gebauer, was taken on 5 July 1900, according to the date written in chalk on the blackboard held in the middle of the photo by two boys. “Deutsche Schule, Apia” are the main words on the board. Two girls are holding up a picture of German Emperor, Wilhelm II. A plank from the wreck of the SMS Adler is displayed at lower left. The teachers in this photo appear to be Mr Otto Damm sitting at the table, and on the right of the table in the white dress, Miss Selesa Folau, of Apia, who ran the kindergarten.
Credit: Spemann Family Collection, restored by T.Brunt 2013.
Categorised as: Uncategorized